Testupendem (テスチュペンデス, Tesuchupendesu) is a Leviathan.
Testupendem is characterized by a large, heavy, snake-like head, and a long, thick, domed shell with three distinct rows of spikes and raised plates on the backside. The shell is often covered with algae. Testupendem are a solid blue-green in color with radiating yellow patterns around their eyes while the shell is a dull brown color. The tail is thick at the base and tapers off and becomes thinner toward the tip. The legs are large and striated, with the front legs having five clawed digits, the back legs having four.
The shell of Testupendem is extremely resilient and strong. It will withdraw inside its shell when threatened. Testupendem are capable of producing water blasts with precise aim and can hit targets from a distance. Testupendem makes itself heavy to withstand these powerful blasts, and it will crush enemies with its bulk. When prey or a predator draws too close, it lashes out with fangs tipped with deadly venom.
Testupendem are generally reclusive creatures. They spend most of their time hidden within their shells and strike when they detect prey. They are weak swimmers so they avoid strong currents and stay under the surface of still bodies of water such as ponds and lakes, its weight helping it stay submerged.
Testupendem are commonly found in large bodies of water in a wide variety of environments, such as the Deserted Island, Flooded Forest, Jungle, Misty Peaks, and the Primal Forest.
|no icon, rip||A type of Leviathan known for the tough, characteristic shell protecting its body. It is capable of retracting its neck into its shell to keep only its head exposed. It can quickly extend its neck at high speed to deliver venomous bites.|
- Order: Leviathan
- Suborder: Leviathan
- Infraorder: Shelled Wyvern
- Family: Testupen
Testupendem are Leviathans and are related to other Leviathans such as Lagiacrus, Mizutsune, Agnaktor, and Royal Ludroth.
Testupendem have been discovered living in the Misty Peaks, Primal Forest and the Jungle in the Old World. In the New World they are known to live in the Deserted Island and Flooded Forest.
Testupendem are powerful ambush predators, spending most of their time hidden within their shells and attacking when they detect prey. They are known to prey on fish, crustaceans, Soggi, Ludroth, Aptonoth, Slagtoth, and Kelbi. Even though they are strong predators in their own right, they live and compete with other powerful creatures such as Lagiacrus, Zinogre, Nargacuga, Gesorostas, Rathalos, Rathian, Deviljho, and some Elder Dragons.
Testupendem are protected by a tough, durable shell akin to a turtle or tortoise. While this shell provides valuable protection, it is quite heavy and hinders the Leviathan's movement. As a result Testupendem is rather slow and is not as agile as other Leviathans such as Mizutsune. They are not good swimmers and spend their time at the bottom of shallow bodies of water such as lakes or ponds, its weight helping it stay submerged. The shell, while sturdy, is capable of being broken. As the shell is fused with the Leviathan's body, the shell being broken can result in the death of the creature. Testupendem actually has a short neck; it keeps it neck extended most of the time to give the impression of having a long neck like other Leviathans. This allows it to retract its neck into its shell, leaving only its head exposed. This allows Testupendem to shoot pressurized jets of water with aim and stability. Testupendem have a venomous bite, although the venom is not strong enough to kill and only serves to weaken enemies.
Testupendem are generally reclusive creatures. They keep their distance from other individuals of their species unless they are looking for a mate. They are also quite aggressive and territorial.
- Testupendem are based off tortoises and turtles, with some aspects of snakes. It is specifically based off snake-necked turtles of the genus Chelodina. Interestingly while Testupendem fully retracts its head backwards into its shell, Chelodina turtles tuck their head partially around the side of their body.
- Despite its title as Turtle Wyvern, its body is more reminiscent of a tortoise.
- The name Testupendem is a portmanteau of the Latin word testudo (tortoise), and Stupendemys, a prehistoric turtle that was the largest turtle that ever existed, surpassing even Archelon.
- Testupendem's head, shell, and front legs can be broken. The tail can be severed and carved.
- When low on stamina, it will fail to use its water blast attacks. It will also be unable to inflict Poison.
- Testupendem will prey on Herbivores such as Kelbi to recover stamina.
- Throwing a Flash Bomb at Testupendem will cause it to drop an item.
- Testupendem's roar requires Earplugs to block.