Scutoidea (スクトイデア, Sukutoidea) is a Carapaceon.
Scutoidea has an ovular body protected by a hard khaki-colored carapace with several gray accents. The front of the creature, the head section, has curved extensions on the sides that point back, giving the head a crescent shape and has a long, curved, blade-like horn. The thorax is segmented and has sharp spines that are located around the edges and on the back of the carapace. The pygidium, the posterior, is also lined with spines and holds a long, rigid, trident-shaped tail. Beneath the carapace are the creatures six legs, the foremost pair ending in claws.
Scutoidea's hard carapace provides excellent protection and the spines that line its body add further defenses. Its sword-esque horn and trident-like tail are used as weapons against potential predators. It can retract its tail and curl its body up like an Uragaan or a Volvidon and roll around; this helps protect its soft, vulnerable underside from predators and its spines and horn turns the creature into a spiky ball.
Scutoidea fills a variety of roles in the environment. Most of the time it is a scavenger, eating the carcasses of dead animals. Some are filter feeders, eating plankton or small fish as they swim through shallow waters. Occasionally they act as ambush predators, remaining still and using the coloration of their carapace to appear as a large rock. Once prey comes by, it will strike with its horn and tail.
Scutoidea has been seen inhabiting environments with bodies of water such as the Deserted Island, Flooded Forest, Primal Forest, and the Swamp.
- Scutoidea is based off of horseshoe crabs and many species of trilobites, which are a group of extinct marine arthropods.
- Its name is a combination of scuto, the Latin word for shield, and the suffix -oidea, a suffix used in the names of zoological classes.
- Scutoidea's carapace can be broken three times, and its horn and tail can be broken.
- When exhausted, Scutoidea will fall on its backside if it rolls, and will use its tail to upright itself after a couple of seconds.
- To regain stamina, it will eat carrion.