Together, the Agsolestea and Dark Agsolestea are Snake Wyverns and are polar opposites of one another. The Dark Agsolestea is the darkness-dwelling male of the species.
A male snake wyvern that draws its power from the darkness. It seeks a female Agsolestea in the breeding season and protects her loyally. Attacking with light and darkness, an enraged pair of these monsters is something not even an elder dragon wishes to face down.
Location: Forested Spring Area 7
Synopsis: In the dead of night, an Agsolestea sleeps in the shade provided by the immense tree. Shafts of moonlight illuminate its scales, making them glitter slightly. The hunter walks into the area and suddenly notices the sleeping serpent, and pauses. The hunter hadn't expected to encounter it at this time of the night.
But then, a slithering sound reaches the hunter's ears. Emerging from the cave near the tree is a dark purple Agsolestea. Its hide gleams brightly in the moonlight, and its frills glow ominously as it draws strength from the darkness. The Dark Agsolestea stops at the base of the tree and hisses softly to the sleeping Agsolestea.
The white serpent wakes up and joins her mate, and both of their heads swing simultaneously around to face the hunter. Together, they raise their heads and produce earsplitting screeches. The hunter readies for battle as the Agsolesteas settle down, and the hunt begins.
Monster Class: Snake Wyvern
Element: Darkness (Ice + Dragon)
Status Ailments: Darkblight, Blinded, Poison, Pin
Theme: Uses the "BIONICLE: Heroes" Zaktan battle theme.
Habitats: Snowy Mountains, Jungle, Tundra, Misty Peaks, Frozen Seaway, Heaven's Mount, Glacial Wastes, Forested Spring, Cavernous Cliffs, Prehistoric Jungle
- Curls up in a shaded area to recover stamina
- Cannot use Darkness-element attacks when low on stamina or not charged up
- Drops an item when both frills are broken
- Sometimes ventures into deep water, but only to move to another area
- Eyes glow green when enraged
- Frills glow bright purple when charged up
- If the Agsolestea becomes enraged, it will as well
Physiology and Behavior
The Agsolestea and Dark Agsolestea are the most snake-like of the Snake Wyverns - unlike Najaralas and Remobras, they have no legs and rely entirely on slithering around on land to get from place to place. They are also decent swimmers, but don't like staying underwater for long. They are larger than other Snake Wyverns, with the largest ones measuring close to 5500 cm. Agsolesteas are females and have shining white scales and blue frills, while Dark Agsolesteas are males and have scales of dark purple/black.
The Agsolestea is a diurnal creature, while the Dark Agsolestea is nocturnal (although exceptions apply). The female absorbs sunlight through her frills and is able to focus that light into projectile attacks, while the male can do the same by absorbing shadow energy. They are both able to spit a deadly poison, as well as constrict their prey in their muscular coils.
Agsolesteas are typically found in tropical, forested areas while Dark Agsolesteas can be found in frigid areas. However, during breeding season they will come together in certain subregions to mate and breed.
Dark Agsolestea can become infected with the Frenzy. Its frills and underbelly turn dark blue while the majority of its body becomes pitch black. Its hisses rise and fall in pitch, and its roar becomes more shrill, like a screech. It is now able to perform a Dual Shadow Ball (two Shadow Balls) and Dual Shadow Beam (two Shadow Beams).
Dark Agsolestea can also overcome the Frenzy and become Apex Dark Agsolestea. Along with its Dual Shadow Ball and Beam attacks, it now takes less time to perform its Shadow Gather and will immediately execute a Dual Shadow Beam once it finishes.
Dark Agsolestea can be carved three times, have its tail severed, have both frills and its belly broken, and drop an item.
Note: Items are listed in order from most common to least common.
Double Quickstrike: Rears its head slightly back, then darts out and snaps with its fangs. When it retreats, it will do another right after it.
Tail Swing: Turns its head to the side and hisses, then swings its tail in that direction.
Tail Flick: Swings its tail twice in front of it.
Slithering Circles: Tenses its body up, then launches itself forward, slithering in a circle. It will sometimes do two or three of these before coiling up again. Often chains this with an Upward Spiral.
Venom Spit: Draws back a little bit and bends its head close to the ground, then fires a huge blast of poison in front of it while retreating backwards. (Poison)
Twisting Bite: Rears its head, hisses, and whips its tail behind it, then darts forward in an S-shape and bites savagely. Does two always.
Upward Spiral: Twists itself into a tight ball, then "jumps" upwards in a spiralling motion.
Shadow Gather: Its frills start glowing as it coils up, then it uncoils and raises its head as a shadowy wave of darkness ensues. It is now able to use its elemental attacks. (Blinded)
Shadow Ball: Performs the same animation as the Venom Spit, but shakes its head while doing so. Then, shoots a blast of darkness in front of it. (Darkblight)
Shadow Beam: Wiggles its head and tail and screams, then lowers its head to the ground and fires a laser beam of darkness. This attack can be aimed as well. (Darkblight)
Constrict: Does a quick turnaround in which it swings its tail back behind it, then darts forward and throws its tail out in front of it. It will then coil up around the hunter and Pin you for continuous damage. (Pin)
Roar: Rears up from its coiled position and releases a hissing roar. Can be blocked with Earplugs.
Venom Spit: Now causes Bad Poison damage. (Bad Poison)
Shadow Ball: The darkness ball will now travel in an erratic path before disappearing with a small explosion of shadow. (Darkblight, explosion causes Blinded)
Shadow Beam: The Dark Agsolestea now lowers its head while swinging it to the side, and will aim it before sweeping it to either its left or right. (Darkblight, Blinded)
- Fire -20
- Water +5
- Thunder (0)
- Ice -5
- Earth -10
- Sky +5
- Dragon +30
Skills: Dragon Res +15, Halve Blind, Cold Res, Taunt
- Fire -40
- Water +5
- Thunder (0)
- Ice -5
- Earth -10
- Sky +5
- Dragon +30
Skills: Darkness Attack +2, Halve Blind, Cold Res, Fire Res -20
- Fire -30
- Water +15
- Thunder +10
- Ice +5
- Earth (0)
- Sky +15
- Dragon +40
Skills: Darkness Attack +2, Negate Blind, Cold Res, Crit Element, Fire Res -20
Singing Couple --> Singing Couple+ --> Serenading Marriage
Darkness Cleaver --> Darkness Cleaver+ --> Lunar Eclipse --> Total Lunar Eclipse
Son of Selene --> Father of Selene --> Moon God
Night Javelin --> Dark Night Javelin
Shadowed Serenade --> Prince's Serenade --> Call of the Night
Dark Axe --> Shadow Axe --> Lunar Slicer --> Agsol's Coldblade
Darksolestea --> Agshadowstea
- It uses the Darkness element, which is a combination of Ice and Dragon.
- The Dark Agsolestea is based on a cottonmouth snake. It gets its name from "Agkistrodon", the genus name of the cottonmouth, and "solstice", referring to its two forms living in either warm or frigid environments.
- Each of the Dark Agsolestea's weapons relates to the moon in some way. Its Longsword is even named after the goddess of the moon in Greek mythology.
- The Dark Agsolestea's weapons all have dual element, due to the fact that it uses the Darkness element.
- Its Dual Blades and Light Bowgun are upgraded from the Agsolestea's Dual Blades and Bowgun.
- Its armor set introduces new skills that negate the effects of the Blinded ailment, as well as Darkness Attack +2, which increases the damage done by Ice and Dragon weapons.
Aglunastos is a large Snake Wyvern and the male counterpart of Agsolestea.
Aglunastos is a large Snake Wyvern which largely resembles his female counterpart, Agsolestea, in that they don't possess any limbs, unlike Najarala. Aglunastos also possesses large frills, but unlike Agsolestea, Aglunastos uses them to release energy in the form of the Darkness element. Aglunastos also possess large fangs which he uses to inject a deadly venom into its prey, but is also capable of spitting this venom out like a spitting cobra. Aglunastos has small ridges going down his back and sides. Aglunastos' body is black in color with several white spots on it, resembling a night sky. The ridges of Aglunastos are dark blue in color which also goes for the tip of its tail, part of its lower jaw and part of its frills. Aglunastos' underside is a sunset orange or red in color together with the membrane of its frills and its eyes.
Aglunastos is very territorial like many other wyverns. This means it will become very aggressive towards intruders of its territory which it is known to patrol during the night, while the female, Agsolestea, patrols the territory during the day. Aglunastos is also known to hunt at night which is when it blends in with the shadows due to its dark coloring.
- Location: Verdant Hills (Night)
- Synopsis: As the hunter enters Area 10 of the Verdant Hills, they notice that something feels off to them as there aren't any small monsters in the area. Suddenly, they hear a loud wriggling noise, almost as if thousands of sharp blades are rattling against each other. The hunter then notices two bright red-orange colored lights flash in the darkness. Suddenly, a large monster which resembles an Agsolestea, bursts out of the darkness with its large and sharp fangs glistening in the orange glow coming from its frills. The hunter just barely manages to leap out of the way, making the large serpent miss them. As the hunter quickly gets back up, they look back as the snake quickly turns around and displays its full body, revealing it to be an Aglunastos. The Aglunastos is hissing at the hunter and flashing its bright frills after which it roars, beginning the hunt.
- Location: Nightmare Marshes
- Synopsis: The cutscene begins by showing an area somewhere in the Nightmare Marshes with an asleep Agsolestea. The Agsolestea then wakes up to something, which is when the camera turns and shows an Aglunastos enter the area. The Aglunastos raises its body and the Agsolestea does the same as they both first hiss at each other. Then start slithering towards each other before suddenly circling around each other. After a short time of circling, they quickly slither towards each other again, but this time they actually reach each other. When they reach other they form into a helix-like shape with their heads touching each other at the top. They then slither back. The Agsolestea then slithers away towards her cave as the Aglunastos follows her. The cutscene slowly starts panning upwards as the two leave the area and the screen turns to black, ending the cutscene.
Aglunastos are capable of using the Darkness element by combining the two necessary elements, Ice and Dragon, in a special sac it possesses. The element is then stored in various organs in the Aglunastos' body at which point it can be used in a variety of ways, including releasing it from its frills or shooting it out in the forms of blasts or lasers. Like Agsolestea, Aglunastos can use their massive body to constrict and crush their prey or foes. Aglunastos also possess a deadly venom which they can inject with their sharp fangs or spit out towards targets.
Aglunastos are also capable of swimming, but they don't like staying in the water for too long. As such they use the water as a means of escape and not for hunting or fighting. However, Aglunastos have very rarely been found hunting the water.
Rage and Tired States
- Rage State: When Aglunastos becomes enraged, its eyes will start to glow bright red-orange and its frills will also glow.
- Tired State: When Aglunastos becomes tired, it will start to drool and will sometimes fail doing its Darkness attacks.
Frenzy, Apex and Hyper
Aglunastos can get affected by the Frenzy Virus and become Frenzied and they're also known to be able to enter the Apex State. Aglunastos is also capable of entering the Hyper State.
Frenzied Aglunastos have a purple tint to their colors and some of its colors are darker. Frenzied Aglunastos also has a chance to cause Frenzy with the venom it spits out.
Hyper Aglunastos have the usual changes of a monster in the Hyper State, but they also gain a new attack. Shredding Darkness Beam: Aglunastos will first hiss towards a hunter. It will then start gathering Darkness into its mouth after which it will shoot a large dark beam towards the hunter it hissed at. When the dark beam hits the ground, it will start sending small rocks flying out of the ground. The Aglunastos will try to track hunters slightly with this attack for a short time after it started firing. If hunters are hit directly by the beam, they can get knocked away and be afflicted with Dragonblight and Iceblight, and if hunters are hit by the small rocks send flying out, they can get knocked down.
Apex Aglunastos have the usual changes of a monster in the Apex State, but besides gaining the attack that Hyper Aglunastos has, they also gain a new attack. Laser Pin: Aglunastos will first do a deep hiss towards a hunter. Then it will quickly lunge towards that hunter. If the hunter doesn't manage to avoid out of the way, the Aglunastos will pin the hunter, but with a different animation compared to its normal one. The Aglunastos will first circle its body around the hunter after which it will raise its head up and look down on them. The Aglunastos will then slowly start charging energy into its mouth. The hunter now has a limited amount of time to get out of the pin by either normal means, or by getting the Aglunastos to flinch with the help from other hunters. If the time runs out, the Aglunastos will shoot a dark beam right at the hunter which will be released right before the beam hits. This attack can knock the hunter pinned away and afflict them with Dragonblight and Iceblight. After recovering, they can be Stunned.
Aglunastos has a mount similar to that of its female counterpart, Agsolestea, and thus Najarala, except Aglunastos will move its body much more frantically.
- Order: Snake Wyvern
- Suborder: Snake Wyvern
- Family: Solestea
Aglunastos is a member of the Snake Wyvern class together with its female counterpart, Agsolestea, and other monsters such as Najarala and Eumurikos. Aglunastos and Agsolestea also have a Rare Species living in volcanic areas named Jet Agsolestea.
Aglunastos have been found inhabiting a large variety of habitats which include the Verdant Hills, Old Swamp, Deserted Island, Ancestral Steppe, Heaven's Mount, Everwood and even the Coral Highlands. Other areas it has been found in, include the Arctic Ridge, Tundra, Frozen Seaway, Polar Sea, White Lake, Blizzard Canyon, Lost City and the Nightmare Marshes.
Aglunastos sits up high in the food chain as it is capable of easily preying upon a wide variety of prey. Prey of the small variety includes the likes of Aptonoth, Bullfango, Velociprey, Giaprey, Baggi and rarely Epioth. Prey of the larger variety includes the likes of Great Jaggi, Great Maccao, Seltas, Tzitzi-Ya-Ku, Bulldrome and Giadrome. Aglunastos have even rarely been seen preying upon large monsters like Jade Barroth, Tidal Najarala, Zamtrios and Congalala whenever in dire need of food.
Aglunastos has to compete with a large amount of other large monsters in its habitats. These competitors can include the likes of Legiana, Astalos, Rathalos, Barioth, Pokaradon, Gasurabazura, White Monoblos and many others. But, the Aglunastos large size, physical strength and elemental powers make it a dangerous foe that not many other monsters would want to face.
Despite the Aglunastos' strength, both physically and elementally, it still has to worry about large and powerful predators. These predators include the likes of Elder Dragon-level monsters, like Deviljho and Solmaron, powerful Deviants, Dreadking Rathalos and Dreadqueen Rathian, and the occasional Elder Dragon.
Aglunastos have largely the same adaptations as their female counterparts. These include a powerful venom which they are not only able to inject into prey with their large fangs, but are also capable of spitting it out like a spitting cobra would. They are also capable of using their massive bodies to constrict and crush their prey, and are able to swim through water for a some time to either escape from threats or to, occasionally, chase down prey. But, Aglunastos still has some key differences when compared to its female counterpart. Firstly, Aglunastos is more commonly found during nighttime, unlike its female counterpart. Furthermore, it uses the Darkness-element instead of the Light-element for its attacks. Finally, it doesn't use its frills to charge the energy for its elemental attacks, but instead uses them to discharge the element with the energy it generates inside of its body, being that of Ice and the mysterious Dragon.
Like Agsolestea, Aglunastos is very territorial and will patrol his territory during the night, while his female counterpart will patrol their territory during the day. Despite this, they can still be found awake at the same time whenever necessary. Aglunastos are known to hunt their prey by stalking them from the shadows and striking when the time is right.
- Roar: Aglunastos will roar in a similar manner to Agsolestea and thus Najarala.
- Bite: Aglunastos will hiss at a hunter and then try to bite them which can cause Noxious Poison and knock them down.
- Tail Whip: Aglunastos will whip his tail at a hunter which can knock them down.
- Constrict: When Aglunastos pins a hunter, he will use his large and muscular body to start constricting them.
- Lunge: Aglunastos will lunge at a hunter with his body which can knock them down.
- Slither: Aglunastos will slither towards a hunter in a S-shape which can knock them down.
- Venom Ball: Aglunastos will spit his venom at a hunter which will leave a small pool of poison if it doesn't hit them directly like Gypceros. If the ball hits a hunter directly it can knock them down and cause Poison and if a hunter walks into the pool it can knock them back and cause Poison.
- Tail Slam: Aglunastos will first hiss at a hunter and will then lift his tail up and towards a hunter. Afterwards, Aglunastos will try to slam its tail down onto the hunter. This attack can knock hunters away and might cause them to be Stunned after they recover.
- Dark Ball: Aglunastos will fire a ball of concentrated darkness at a hunter which can cause Iceblight and Dragonblight and can knock them down.
- Dark Burst: Aglunastos will hiss at a hunter and then start concentrating darkness into his frills which will start glowing and flashing faster and faster. After some time it will cause a dark burst of darkness in a cone-shape like Tzitzi-Ya-Ku. This attack can cause Blind to hunters.
- Upswing: Aglunastos will first hiss at a hunter and then swing his head upwards at them which can knock them upwards.
- Lunging Bite: Aglunastos will lunge at a hunter, but instead of hitting them with his body he will try biting them which can cause Noxious Poison and knock them away.
- Double Dark Ball: Aglunastos will shoot two Dark Balls in a row at hunters which can both cause Iceblight and Dragonblight and can knock them down.
- Darkness Beam: Aglunastos will concentrate the darkness energy into his mouth and afterwards will fire a large laser of concentrated darkness at a hunter. He will try to track them down with the laser for a short time. This attack can cause Iceblight and Dragonblight and can knock hunters away.
- Note: Aglunastos is now capable of using its Low Rank Enraged attacks when not enraged.
- Sideways Bites: Aglunastos will lunge towards a hunter and try to bite them from the side two times in a row, once from the left and once from the right. This attack can cause Noxious Poison and knock hunters down.
- Circling Upswing: Aglunastos will first hiss at a hunter and then circle them similarly to Najarala. Afterwards he will hiss again and do an Upswing at them which can knock them upwards.
- Slithering Upswing: Aglunastos will slither towards a hunter in a S-shape and then do an Upswing. The slither can knock hunters down and the upswing can knock them upwards.
- Triple Dark Ball: Aglunastos will hiss towards hunters and will then shoot three Dark Balls in a row towards them like Rathian. This attack can knock hunters down and cause Iceblight and Dragonblight.
- Dark Grenade: Aglunastos will shoot a Dark Ball at a hunter which will travel in an arc. When it hits the ground it will cause a small explosion of darkness with an AoE. If hunters are hit directly by the blast, they can get knocked away and be afflicted with Iceblight and Dragonblight, and if they're hit by the small explosion, they can get knocked down and be afflicted with Iceblight and Dragonblight.
- Lunging Dark Burst: Aglunastos will first do a Lunging Bite at a hunter and then do a Dark Burst. The Lunging Bite can cause Noxious Poison and knock hunters down and the Dark Burst can cause Blind.
- Circling Bite: Aglunastos will first hiss at a hunter and then circle them similarly to Najarala. Afterwards he will hiss again and try to bite them which can cause Noxious Poison and can knock them down.
- Trident Dark Ball: Aglunastos will hiss towards a hunter after which it will shoot three Dark Balls towards them in a trident shape. This attack can knock hunters down and cause Iceblight and Dragonblight.
- Sweeping Darkness Beam: Aglunastos will fire a Darkness Beam from left to right across the area which can cause Iceblight and Dragonblight and can knock hunters away.
- Venom Spray: Aglunastos will spray out a large amount of venom in varying patterns across the area in front of him. If this attack hits a hunter directly it will knock them down and cause Noxious Poison and if a hunter walks through the venom it will cause Noxious Poison and knock them back.
- Dark Ball Bombardment: Aglunastos will hiss towards a hunter after which it will shoot a large amount of dark blasts towards them. This attack can knock hunters down and cause Iceblight and Dragonblight.
- Dark Burst Grenade: Aglunastos will fire a Dark Grenade at a hunter, but it will be flashing and when it hits the ground it will release a burst of darkness which can cause Blind if hunters are looking at it. If hunters are hit directly by the blast, they can get knocked away and be afflicted with Iceblight and Dragonblight.
- Sideways Combo: Aglunastos will first do the Sideways Bites attack towards hunters and then try to do a Constrict on them.
- Dark Grenade Bombardment: Aglunastos will fire multiple Dark Grenades in a row at hunters which can all cause Iceblight and Dragonblight and knock hunters away.
- Twin Sweeping Darkness Beam: Aglunastos will roar at hunters after which it will first fire a Darkness Beam from left to right across the area. Afterwards it will shoot another Darkness Beam from right to left across the area. This attack can knock hunters away and cause Iceblight and Dragonblight.
- Head(1): Jaws will be wounded.
- Head(2): One of the frills will be wounded.
- Head(3): Both frills will be wounded.
- Tail: Part of the tail will be severed.
Skills: Moon Strike, Bond +8, Rec Speed -8
Skills: Moon Strike, Bond +8, Rec Speed -8
- Aglunastos' roar requires Earplugs to block.
- Whenever Aglunastos is tired, it will try to find a carcass and eat from it to regain Stamina.
- When Aglunastos is fought together with Agsolestea, if one of them becomes enraged, the other will too.
- Aglunastos is based on the cottonmouth and on spitting cobras.
- Unlike the original Dark Agsolestea, Aglunastos is not considered a Subspecies.
- Rathalosaurus: For making the render.