Aavariff is an Elder Dragon, comparable in strength to Teostra and Kushala Daora.
Aavariff is based on a hippogryph meaning that the front part of its body is that of an eagle with talons and a head with a beak like that of an eagle, but filled with small teeth similar to Hesperornis. It also has feathers and large wings. The rear part of its body is that of a horse with a tail like that of a horse and hooves but it has scales like Kirin. The front part of its body is dark-grey with a dark-hooked yellow beak, similar to the beak of a golden eagle, and the rear part of its body is black. Aavariff has a body stance similar to Kushala Daora's or Vaal Hazak's when not in combat.
Aavariff are very territorial and aggressive Elder Dragons and once something enters their territory they will try to get rid of it as soon as possible, but not necessarily kill it unless the intruder tries to fight the Elder Dragon.
Placement in Food Chain
Aavariff sit at the top of the food chain due to being Elder Dragons, meaning it has incredible physical strength and powerful elemental powers, together with impressive agility. They're effortlessly capable of feeding on small monsters and even several large monsters can fall prey to its might. Several large monsters are still capable competitors for the Aavariff and powerful monsters and other Elder Dragons can also be considered competitors.
Behavior towards Other Monsters
Aavariff will attack small monsters if they wander too close to the Elder Dragon or decide to provoke it. Aavariff will give a warning to large monsters in the same area as it and if they do not leave the area after this warning has been given, the Aavariff will attack the monster, including powerful monsters and Elder Dragons.
Aavariff can leave behind a variety of tracks for hunters to utilize in tracking it down. These tracks include "Claw and Hoof Print Pairs", which can be found on the ground, "Charged Black Feathers", which can be found on the ground, "Black Scales", which can be found on the ground, and "Electric Claw Marks", which can be found on the ground or on walls.
Specific Locale Interactions
Aavariff doesn't have any specific locale interactions.
Aavariff doesn't have any special behaviors.
- Location: Lost City
- Synopsis: As the Hunter enters Area 4 of the Lost City they notice that the sky is filled with dark thunderclouds, flashes of lightning in those clouds, a strong wind pushing against the hunter and a lot of rain. Suddenly the clouds seem to lighten, the lightning seems to stop, the wind dies down and the rain seems to stop. As the Hunter looks around suddenly thunderclouds appear again and lightning starts to strike all around the Hunter. The Hunter then notices something flying towards them at high speeds from the sky while lightning keeps striking. It is then revealed that it is an Aavariff. The Aavariff flies right towards the Hunter and tries to grab them, but the Hunter rolls out of the way in time to avoid being grabbed. The Aavariff then flies down to the ground and lands after which it stares at the Hunter. The lightning stops striking as a storm like that of the beginning of the cutscene starts up again. The Aavariff then roars and the hunt begins.
- Location: Extinct Volcano
- Synopsis: The cutscene begins by showing an area of the Extinct Volcano filled with Herbivores going about their usual business. Suddenly, an Astalos bursts into the area and kills a bunch of the Herbivores and starts eating from their corpses. Just after the Astalos starts eating, a storm randomly seems to start up and the Astalos looks up confused. Suddenly as lightning strikes down, the Astalos can see something coming down from the storm and as the camera zooms in on the figure, it is revealed to be an Aavariff. The Aavariff lands in the area and the Astalos backs away, scared, as the Aavariff roars at it. The Aavariff then walks towards the corpses of the Herbivores that the Astalos killed. The Astalos, however, doesn't seem like it wants to give up its meal which angers the Aavariff. It roars again and charges at the Astalos. The Astalos and Aavariff fight each other for some time, the Astalos putting up a good fight, but it clearly seems to be fighting a losing-battle. The Astalos finally realizes this and runs away, wounded. The Aavariff roars over its victory, reclaiming its dominance, and starts feeding on the corpses of the Herbivores, ending the cutscene.
Aavariff have control over the Storm element meaning they can create powerful thunderstorms, cause lightning strikes, make it pour rain and cause powerful winds. It can cause lightning strikes in a similar manner to Kirin and Zinogre. The rain it causes is so intense that puddles will get created which will slow you down if you step in them. The winds it can cause are powerful enough to send you flying and it can use its large wings to fly around at very high speeds. It will also use its claws and hooves whenever necessary.
Rage and Tired States
- Rage State: When Aavariff becomes enraged its entire body will start to spark with an electric aura which if Hunters get close to it, will shock them and will cause Aavariff's far-reaching lightning bolts to track them down.
- Tired State: Being an Elder Dragon means that Aavariff cannot get tired.
Frenzy, Apex, Hyper and Tempered
Aavariff is an Elder Dragon and can thus not get affected by the Frenzy Virus and become Frenzied. Due to this it can also not attain the Apex State. Aavariff can also not be encountered in the Hyper State, but it can be encountered in the Tempered State and the Arch-Tempered State.
Tempered Aavariff are considered Threat Lv3 Tempered Monsters and have the usual changes of a Tempered monster.
Arch-Tempered Aavariff have the usual changes of an Arch-Tempered monster and also gain a new attack. Great Bolt: Aavariff will rear up and screech as the ground under a hunter starts glowing and will move with the hunter. Once the Aavariff gets back on its feet, it will cause a large bolt of lightning to strike down shortly afterwards on the glowing location, meaning hunters still have some time to dodge, which will explode with a large AoE. This attack will send hunters flying away and will cause Thunderblight.
Aavariff's mount animation is a mix of other Elder Dragons, more specifically Teostra and Kirin. Aavariff can be mounted on its head and back.
Whenever Aavariff is mounted on its head, the hunter will be located on top of the Aavariff's head. The Aavariff will try to get hunters off by violently shaking its head around, by running or flying around and by slamming the side of its head into walls.
Whenever Aavariff is mounted on its back, the hunter will either be located on top of the middle of the Aavariff's back or on either side of its body. The Aavariff will try to get hunters off by shaking its body, by running or flying around and by slamming the side of its body into walls.
|?||Fast elder dragons which can create powerful thunderstorms. While the Guild wants to keep watch of these dragons, this is nearly impossible because of the elder dragon's storm-creating abilities, high-speed and life-style.|
- Order: Elder Dragon
- Suborder: Tempest Dragon
- Family: Aavar
- Species: Aavariff
Aavariff is an Elder Dragon known for its ability to create thunderstorms and travel at speeds only Valphalk are said to be able to surpass.
Aavariff have been seen living in tropical environments like the Old Jungle, Jungle, Great Forest, Primal Forest and Lost City, but also in environments like the Flooded Forest, Misty Peaks, Everwood, Jurassic Frontier, Verdant Hills and the Extinct Volcano.
Being predatory Elder Dragons means that Aavariff sit at the top of the food chain and can hunt many small monsters like Ioprey, Aptonoth, Bullfango, Conga and Remobra with incredible ease. Larger monsters like Iodrome, Yian Kut-Ku, Gypceros, Hypnocatrice and Rathian can also fall prey to this Elder Dragon. Sometimes even monsters like Plesioth can become food for this Elder Dragon.
While powerful and certainly capable predators, Aavariff have to compete with many powerful monsters, like Gold Rathian, Deviljho, Glavenus and Rajang, which are rather capable of severely injuring or killing an Aavariff whenever engaged in battle. But with this Elder Dragon's elemental power, speed and ferocity in battle, they will put up a fight against pretty much anything.
Aavariff have developed a strong control over the Storm element meaning they can create strong thunderstorms with lightning strikes, large amounts of rain and strong winds. They are also capable of surrounding parts of their body with electricity. Whenever they surround their entire body with electricity they will create an electric aura which can keep sparking and shock anyone or anything that gets near. They have also developed large wings to fly around at high speeds and their large front claws are made for both shredding and holding onto their prey. The hooves on their rear legs can cause a serious impact whenever they hit something, especially a monster or Hunter.
Aavariff are very territorial and aggressive and will try to get rid of any intruders of its territory, but not necessarily kill the intruder. However if the intruder tries to attack this Elder Dragon, Aavariff will immediately go into attack mode and ruthlessly attack until the intruder is dead. This trait has allowed many that encountered it to stay alive, while other more foolish weren't so lucky because they didn't heed the Aavariff's warnings.
Interactions with Other Monsters
Low Tier Large Monsters
Aavariff doesn't have any interactions with any low tier large monsters.
High Tier Large Monsters
- Aavariff versus Astalos: The two monsters begin by roaring at each other after which the Astalos quickly flies up followed by it flying down at the Elder Dragon. However, the Aavariff quickly leaps out of the way and kicks the Astalos with its rear legs as it passes by, dealing some moderate damage to it. The Astalos, being knocked back, still manages to catch one of the Aavariff's legs with its tail, pulling it and slamming it, dealing moderate damage to it. The Astalos then tries to slam both of its wings down onto the Aavariff, but it quickly recovers and flies up as it charges electricity around itself and quickly flies down at the Astalos, slamming its claws straight into the side of the Astalos' body, knocking it away and dealing moderately high damage.
- Roar: Aavariff will do its roar in a similar manner as Teostra.
- Thunder Clouds: Aavariff will create small thunderclouds randomly throughout the area which, after some time, will strike lightning down afterwards disappearing. This attack can cause Thunderblight.
- Rain Clouds: Aavariff will create small clouds randomly throughout the area which, after some time, will start to rain and create small puddles of water under them, unless hunters are standing directly under the clouds, afterwards disappearing. These puddles will slow hunters down whenever they stand in them and can cause Waterblight and the rain will cause Waterblight if hunters are standing under the cloud.
- Windstream: Aavariff will rear up and do a short roar afterwards flapping its wings hard repeatedly. This will cause two large streams of wind to come from its wings which can knock Hunters away and cause Windblight.
- Claw Swipe: Aavariff will swipe either of its claws at a hunter which can knock them down.
- Charge: Aavariff will rear up its front legs then charge at a hunter with some tracking which can knock them down along the floor.
- Lunge: Aavariff will leap towards a hunter which can knock them away.
- Back Kick: Aavariff will turn around and kick a hunter with its rear legs which can knock them away and can cause Stun once they land.
- Back Hop: Aavariff will hop backwards and will either taunt or do an attack.
- Tail Swipes: Aavariff will look behind itself and swing its tail left to right which can knock hunters down.
- Bite: Aavariff will try to bite a hunter which can knock them back.
- Peck: Aavariff will try to peck a hunter like Yian Kut-Ku which can knock them back.
- Claw Slam: Aavariff will try to slam either of its front claws down onto a hunter which can knock them away.
- Downwards Peck: Aavariff will peck downwards from above a hunter which can knock them down.
- Tail Swing: Aavariff will swing its tail around at a hunter which can knock them back.
- Flying Smash: Aavariff will fly at a hunter and smash its claws down onto them which can knock them away.
- Dive Down: Aavariff will gain height then dive on a hunter and go back into Ground mode. This can knock hunters down along the floor and cause Stun once they recover.
- Thundery Wing Zap: Aavariff will gather thunder around its wings while flying and hover above a hunter until the wings glow bright from the charge. It then does a hard flap with its wings which will fire thunder bolts at hunters which can cause Thunderblight and knock hunters back.
- Electric Aura: When Aavariff becomes enraged it will surround its entire body with an electric aura which will keep sparking. If hunters get close to the aura they will get shocked and then the Aavariff's far-reaching lightning bolts will track them down.
- Electric Feathers: Aavariff will charge its feathers with electricity and then throw them in the direction of hunters like Seregios throws its scales. This attack can cause Thunderblight and knock hunters down.
- Thunder Beam: Aavariff will shake its head and lift itself up as it gathers many bolts of thunder towards its beak. It will turn towards a hunter as it breathes inwards as a lens flare forms around its beak from thunder as a beam of yellow light form in front of it. It will then fire the beam where the light is, creating a big AOE zap that will upswing hunters and cause Thunderblight. Aavariff can do this right near its face or at a great distance.
- Storm Clouds: Aavariff will create a mix between the Rain Clouds and Thunder Clouds attack causing it first to rain, creating the puddles, and then causing lightning to strike down. When the puddles get hit by the lightning they will spark and cause a small AOE effect around them which can cause Thunderblight and knock hunters down.
- Hard Peck: Aavariff does a hard peck at a hunter like Yian Garuga which can knock them away.
- Thunderous Smash: Aavariff will gather thunder around its claws and then smash both down on a hunter which can cause Thunderblight and knock them away.
- Spinning Tail Swing: Aavariff will spin around and swing its tail at a hunter which can upswing and thus knock them into the air.
- Stormy Strike: Aavariff will fly up high into the air quickly, gather a lot of thunder around its body and then sharply turn towards a hunter and glide at great speeds towards them screeching with lightning around it. It then makes a hard landing on the ground and skids across it from the force. This is Aavariff's equivalent to Kushala's big tornado and Teostra's supernova attack, thus it does a large amount of damage, will send hunters flying away and Stun them once they recover. Hunters may also be affected by the thunder that flies outwards from the strike which will give them Thunderblight and Dragon Wind Press.
- Flying Charge: Aavariff will roar and then fly towards a hunter at high speeds with its wings spread which can send them flying. When this attack is done on the ground, Aavariff will first backhop before doing the charge.
- Electric Feather Stream: Aavariff will first do most of the Windstream attack but will also throw electric feathers into the streams of wind making them more concentrated instead of going randomly in a certain direction like with the Electric Feathers attack. This attack can knock hunters away, cause Windblight and cause Thunderblight.
- Turning Claw Swipe: Aavariff will turn when doing a claw swipe which can knock hunters down.
- Sweeping Bite: Aavariff rears up and sweeps across with a bite which can knock hunters down.
- Dual Sweeping Bite: Aavariff does a sweeping bite and then does another one in the opposite direction.
- Spinning Tail Swipe: Aavariff will do a fast spin and swipe its tail across the ground which can knock hunters down along the floor.
- Lightning Storm: Aavariff will create a very large cloud which will first cause a large amount of rain, creating puddles randomly throughout the area which can be connected to create large puddles. After this large lightning bolts will strike down randomly throughout the area which if they hit puddles will cause electric explosions which will cause Thunderblight. After the electric explosions a puddle will disappear.
- Electric Flying Charge: Aavariff will surround its entire body with electricity and then do the Flying Charge, but faster now. This attack can send hunters flying and cause Thunderblight. When this attack is done on the ground Aavariff will first backhop before doing the charge.
- Sweep, Sweep, Peck: Aavariff will make two quick sweeping bites and then do a hard peck.
- Lunging Thunderous Smash: Aavariff will gather electricity around both of its front claws and then lunge towards a hunter and try slamming both down onto them. This attack can cause Thunderblight and knock them away.
- Storm Blast: Aavariff will make two hard flaps with its wings to create a sphere around a hunter of thunder and wind. It will then screech and do a third outwards flap to combust the sphere into an electric and wind explosion which will send hunters flying and can cause Stun once they recover. This attack can also cause Thunderblight and Windblight.
- Body Slam: Aavariff will fly up above a hunter and then throw itself down. Its rear legs with the hooves will hit the ground first causing the ground to break when they hit the ground. This can send a hunter flying upwards and cause Tremors to other hunters.
- Wing Smash: Aavariff will rear itself up high with a wing raised and then it will smash it down across near the front of its head. This attack can knock hunters away.
- Spin and Slam: Aavariff will first do a Spinning Tail Swipe and then do two quick Claw Slams.
- Thunder Orbs: Aavariff will flap its wings to gather thunder around, but will then shake them to make wind gather around them. Then it will make a hard flap to create up to six orbs of thunder that will travel along the winds until they fall down to the ground and explode. Getting hit by an orb can cause Thunderblight.
- Acrobatic Wing Smash: Aavariff will screech with its wings uncurled and then leap upwards towards a hunter and backflip in the air then bring both its wings down on them in a heavy smash. This can send them flying away and cause Stun once they recover.
- Electric Body Slam: Aavariff will do the Body Slam attack, but now charged with electricity. This will make Aavariff do the attack faster and cause Thunderblight at the same time.
- Double Wing Smash: Aavariff will repeat the Wing Smash attack with its other wing.
- Stormy Nova: This attack is a more powerful version of the Stormy Strike. Aavariff will surround its entire body with electricity and then make a screeching roar. After this it will fly very high into the sky while charging itself with some more electricity. When high up in the sky, Aavariff will do a different roar and afterwards it will start to fly down towards a hunter. Aavariff will then impact with the ground causing a large electric explosion which can cover a large amount of the area. Then it will keep discharging electricity until large lightning bolts start to strike down randomly throughout the area which cause small AOE's in the place they impact. If Aavariff lands right ontop of a hunter, it will be almost certain death. Getting hit by the electric explosion will send hunters flying and cause Thunderblight and getting hit by the lightning bolts will cause Thunderblight and will knock hunters away.
Breakable Parts and Shiny Drops
- Head: Aavariff's head will have scars on it, including its beak.
- Front Legs: Either of the Aavariff's front legs' claw will be scarred or broken and the leg itself will be missing some feathers.
- Wings: Either of the Aavariff's wings will have scars on it and will be missing some feathers.
- Rear Legs: Either of the Aavariff's rear legs' hooves will be scarred and the leg itself will be also be scarred.
- Tail: Part of the Aavariff's tail will be severed off.
- Aavariff can drop an Aavariff Feather/Feather+/Finefeather with the break on its head and the breaks on its front legs.
- Aavariff can drop a Dragon Treasure/Old Drg Treasure with all of its breaks.
- Aavariff can drop an Aavariff Scale/Scale+/Shard with the breaks on its rear legs.
- Aavariff can drop an Aavariff Claw/Claw+/Hardclaw with the breaks on its front legs.
- Aavariff can drop an Aavariff Wingfeather/Wingfeather+/Fellfeather with the breaks on its wings.
- Aavariff can drop an Elder Drg Blood/Pure Dragon Blood/Thick Drg Blood with all of its breaks.
When Aavariff receives a high damage impact, it can drop Dragon Pods for the hunter's slinger.
Skills: Evasion +1, Thunder Res +15, Wind Res (+6)
Skills: Evasion +1, Thunder Res +15, Wind Res (+6)